Fitness isn’t just about exercise. If you want to be your absolute fittest — which covers the entire fitness spectrum, from making healthy body composition changes to becoming faster and stronger — you need to be willing to put in the work outside the gym. This includes:
- Limit your consumption of sugars and grains.
- Get 7-9 hours of sleep.
- Remove or drastically limit alcohol intake.
- Stay hydrated with water.
- Keep active outside the gym (take the stairs instead of the elevator, go on walks, tackle home and yard projects).
- Eat lean protein with every meal.
- Eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables daily.
The truth is, exercise is just one piece of a well-rounded fitness program. Have you ever endured months of hard workouts but were underwhelmed by your weight loss progress, felt constantly tired, sore and beat up, or plateaued on making strength gains and faster WOD times? Then it’s time to start looking at the various lifestyle factors that aren’t a separate entity from your fitness – they’re a part of it.